June Goals: Meal Plan and Make Dinner

Hi All.  Remember wayyy back when, when I did the Paleo Challenge?  Oh yeah, who could forget… the two weeks I turned into a crazy bitch.

Well, I remember at the end of that whole debacle, one of the lessons I learned was that I need to make dinner more often.  I have a really hard time with that.  Usually, I kind of just snack on things: a tortilla with beans, random pieces of cheese, handfuls of chocolate chips, a yogurt, pretzels, any other random thing I can find.  I rarely ever have a meal.

Tonight, I knew I was going to make

Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar (don’t worry recipe blog post about this is coming soon!) to photograph for a blog post.  Before I came home, I stopped by Subway to get a sandwich to avoid eating cake for dinner, because I know myself.  I would seriously just eat cake for dinner and call it a night.  But that’s not good for you.

So as I was eating my Subway sandwich

photo-14

I began to think…  I make myself get out of bed at 5:20am to get to the gym by 6am, even though I want to stay in bed more than anything.  Somehow I manage to get my butt up and move it.  I really can make myself have a real, healthy dinner at least 3 nights a week.  That shouldn’t be that hard, right?  I think it just comes down to habit.

Most days, I come home from work and just don’t really feel like making dinner for myself.  If Jesse is having dinner with me (usually once a week), then I have no problem making a meal.  But just for me.  No fun.

But that needs to change.

So I decided to make it a person and blog goal in June is to make healthy dinners a few times a week and blog about it.  I’m not talking about the usual desserts and ridiculous treats I think are fun to blog about… like pie

bourbonpeachpie5

I’m talking about quick and easy things that I should actually be eating… sort of like I did during the Paleo Challenge… like my epic paleo dinner of chicken and mushrooms over cauliflower puree

chickenmushroomcauliflower1

and my quick and easy paleo dinner.

paleodinner2

It just takes a little bit of planning.  This won’t be paleo all over again, but I will try to keep it healthy.

Now I should say, I don’t see anything wrong with having a Subway sandwich for dinner.  It’s probably healthier than most things I would have been eating, but $5 for dinner is a little too much to spend every night in my opinion.

So here it goes… what should I make tomorrow night?

Does anyone else struggle with this?  Have any quick and easy recipes to share with me?

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “June Goals: Meal Plan and Make Dinner

• Karla @ Foodologie says:

Good call on simple things like eggs on toast. I definitely eat eggs and beans at least once a week for dinner, that’s the closest I get to a real meal. I’m definitely a fan of spaghetti squash and haven’t gotten it in a while. Definitely putting that on the list of things to make asap! Thanks for the suggestions 😀

1. Elaine says:

Just had a conversation with T about reducing costs and food budgets so I’m continuing to make my own meals morning, noon, and night. It’s hard sometimes! Especially after work. I’d suggest making a few night’s dinners in one go, like a pot of soup, or a casserole. That way you always have a couple day’s worth of meals, plus freezer dinners. The same can be done with breakfast burritos and smoothies. Going to the gym and prepping all three meals is definitely something you have to put your mind to, but totally worth it. Good luck!

2. coco says:

I tried to plan dinners for few weeks but stopped doing that because I simply don’t like to know things in advance. However I do cook meals every night, either salad, simple sautee with brown rice, it’s less than 5 min of preparation time because I wash and cut all the veggies over the weekend. 🙂

3. Anna says:

Meal planning has always been one of my weaknesses, which wasn’t such a big deal before we had Lila, but now that we have her, I feel like we throw together some MAJORLY last minute meals, many nights of the week. We eat frozen pizzas more than I’d like to admit. I try to keep a stocked pantry, so that even if we don’t have “planned” meals, we have a lot of options for cooking when 6:00 rolls around.

4. Emily Dingmann (@nutritionisteat) says:

I’m good at planning meals, but not so good at sticking with them….(I pretty much want to go out to eat every night).

I typically keep things REALLY simple: protein + vegetable + sweet potatoes/rice/etc. Sometimes I’ll cook something more complex and fun on the weekends but during the week it is pretty basic.

• Karla @ Foodologie says:

I feel you on the being “not so good at sticking with them” part. I plan meals all the time and decide to have pretzels and chocolate chips (and let’s be honest, it’s out of laziness).

Good point on keeping it simple. Definitely keeping that in mind.

5. Sara/matchboxkitchen (@MatchboxKitchen) says:

I have this problem too, snacking instead of eating a real meal. The easiest way for me to fix that was to prep everything in advance, like washing and cutting vegetables and making sure I have the right portion of meat defrosted. That way the worst thing that could happen is I throw it all together and make a stir fry. I also like making large stews/casseroles/soups but I have a problem with portion control so I end up eating most of the batch at once 😉

• Karla @ Foodologie says:

Prep work in advance seems like the way to go. Definitely going to give it a try this next week.
      I used to have the same issue with portion control. I started making things and portioning them out right away into individual containers (you’ll see my enchilada post tomorrow, I bake it is small containers to keep myself from eating 6 at once).